An easy way to get today’s Vegan MoFo post done… Why do I keep jacking things from Don’t Eat Off the Sidewalk?
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
*I really like rice milk. I’ve never had almond milk from a carton, but I’ve made it (and cashew milk) from scratch before. Have not yet tried all the fancy Rice Dream flavors.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
*Savory Indian Pancakes
*some sort of gluten-free apple oat muffins (undetermined)
*red velvet cake
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
*Don’t eat it often.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
*When I first started vegan baking, I was always trying to make stuff completely fat-free, so I tried to bake some kind of whole-wheat orange blackberry quick bread. (It didn’t even have orange zest in it, just juice. Eww.) It came out of the oven as bland, texture-less mush. My mom, ever the optimist was like, “Well at least it’s really moist!” But it was mostly just disgusting.
5. Favorite pickled item?
*Um, pickles? Kim-chee is good, but I feel like therea’s something better that I’m forgetting..
6. How do you organize your recipes?
*I’ve just started a recipe notebook, and only the most amazing stuff that I’ll want to make again is allowed inside. It’s got, like, 3 so far.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
*Trash, and the university has a good recycling program.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
*oatmeal (with brown sugar and raisins)
*really good chocolate cake
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
*Kind of fond and odd both, but when my dad used to make sausage, fried eggs, and biscuits (I know you’re gagging) and then kind of chop and mush them together on my plate for me. I think that may be a reason why I love soft, mushy food so much (oatmeal, mashed bananas with cinnamon, brownies, etc). I would love to do a vegan recreation of the above meal and eat it just that way. Oh, and gravy would be necessary too.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
*So Delicious vanilla ice cream sammiches
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
*8-inch round cake pans
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
*Cinnamon, of course! Cayenne is an essential, and dried basil is good, too.
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
Moosewood Restaurant Cookbook
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
*Blackberry. Mmmm, now I wanna make biscuits… add that to #2.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
*Linguine with vegan pesto
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
*Tempeh, although I haven’t had it in a while.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
*I like to cook all afternoon and work up an appetite for the big dinner I’m making.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
*An unused microwave (because they are evil) and a Brita water pitcher. And a printer. And it’s all basically sitting in the middle of the room.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
*There’s only frozen corn and ice!
20. What’s on your grocery list?
*Stuff for the Indian pancakes, gluten-free oats.
21. Favorite grocery store?
*The co-op about 3 miles from here.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
*Toffee Bread Pudding
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
*Cake Maker to the Stars -muy creativa
*Have Cake, Will Travel -delicious desserts, all the time
*Yeah, that vegan shit. -obscene and hilarious
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
*Haven’t explored that yet.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
*Not particularly extravegant, but I had to go out and buy a bunch of stuff to make my birthday cake and equip my dorm with (flour, vanilla, Earth Balance, baking powder, the full monty).
It’s snowing! (slightly)